Epitome Of Riles: A blog especially dedicated to my writings and thoughts on current events and everyday life as I see it. Please feel free to drop a comment or two; better still share with me your blog link and I might just pay you a visit.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Holidays

I enjoy going on holidays. I enjoy seeing my country, hence why I’d always go on a holiday locally whenever I can. But being the average Malaysian income earner and having two children to feed, two cars and a house to pay for, not to mention the bills, study loans and the dreaded but necessary credit cards, my holidays are often tied to a strict budget - And at times very strict. Given that, I am often forced to compromise and by compromise I mean go cheap. So no such thing as five star lodging and dining for me.

Unless you were born with silver spoons, you’d know that compromise means make do, to be easily contented and to lower our standards. This is especially true when I go holidaying in places like Kuantan and Port Dickson. Lodging in these places are dead expensive even if you’re willing to compromise. I was in PD a few years back and had paid RM 150 for a nights lodging which got me a room that looked like a red indian tepee. Granted 150 isn’t that much but considering that the room was as big as… well a tepee, the toilet had no ceiling and only roofed by the adjacent tree branches and the pillows softer only to logs, it was ludicrous! I was doing my thing in the lavatory accompanied by birds chirping and all the while contemplating on the likelihood of being bombarded by bird droppings. And have I mentioned that RM 150 I didn’t even get me a window?  Don’t even get me started on the service. It was day light robbery I tell you.

Than comes the struggle of finding dinner. Most restaurants would be packed with fellow holiday makers. And when I eventually found one, It’ll take 15 minutes just to place my order and an hour just to get the food on the table and by than my boy would probably be jumping on the table mistaking it for a trampoline and my daughter shrieking her throat out at which point I’d lost my appetite and decide to bang my head on table, short of pointing a gun to my head or stab my self on the chest.   

Now, the problem with compromise is that I have to be settled with less and occasionally much lesser than I am willing too which in turns brings about discomfort. When discomfort kicks in, it creates anguish and when that happens I get fed up and tired. Now, being fed up and tired defeats the very purpose of going on a holiday. I’d probably be happier at home, lazing on my L-shaped sofa whist watching Asmara and having a glass of ice drink at a call of my wife’s name. And all the while saving myself a few hundreds.

There is a way to resolve this though, stretch the budget and go for the best. Instead of spending 150 on lodging, spend 300 and get a well appointed sea view room and instead of being stuck in a restaurant by the roadside under a coconut tree somewhere whilst picking my nose for an hour, I should spend a hundred or two whilst seating in the comfort of a five star restaurant treated like a king.

This leads me to draw the conclusion that I shouldn’t go on a holiday if I have to compromise. In fact nobody should. I would also go a step further by proposing that all budget hotels and resorts intended for holidaying be burnt down and the ashes thrown in the sea. And the operators of these budget hotels and resorts should be trialed for grand theft!

But the problem with stretching the budget is, upon return I’d probably have to skip breakfast and lunch everyday until the next pay day and only have ikan bilis with fried eggs for dinner, if I’m lucky enough.
    
     



6 comments:

  1. bro... jadi penulis tamu untuk blog aku bleh? bagus juga untuk mempromosikan blog anda. Perlu aku kasi topik tak? Would "Nasyid & Intellectualism" be a good topic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, no one should compromise when it comes to comfort. But on the other hand, there are people out there who can't even afford a 150 ringgit room. So where would they go if all these budget hotels are burnt down by you? :p

    Budget hotels or not, we should always spend within our means. And there should always be options for us to choose from.

    My suggestion: Spend most of your time outside the hotel, rather than inside the room. Unless you go for another honeymoon with your wife (which requires a 5-star hotel room with first-class facilities), your holidays will be better off spent outside the room :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benign: Sure bro, why not :)

    Hope: 150 is not a lot of money when holidaying in holiday hot spots like Kuantan and PD. Often the rooms are uncomfortable so much so that you'd be better of holidaying in your own house and save yourself 150.

    Frankly speaking though, with that sort of budget you should holiday in small towns like Muar and Taiping. At the former you'd get a room the size of a football field and the latter will throw in a 42 inch LCD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so bila aku leh dapat ertikel dari kau? Tulis dalam bahasa melayu ek untuk impak yang lebih maksima. esok boleh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waahh... Date line dahsyat tu! Kalo BM tu lambat skit lah sebab first time aku buat artikel bahasa melayu bro. Friday je lah bang! Nanti aku email kat ko.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha.. bebila je yang kau free Mal.. takde hal punya. Bukan tak boleh dalam bahasa inggeris, tapi takut ramai yang tak dapat "baca diantara garisan". Kau punya sarcasm tu bukannya aku tak tahu macam mana. Hahaha.

    Kalau dalam bahasa melayu tu mungkin lebih ramai yang akan baca.. Nasyid & Intelektualisme. Its gon be great. Kalau nak gangster sikit, kau sebut terus je nama-nama kumpulan nasyid sebagai contoh... kompem 60 komen. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete