Epitome Of Riles: A blog especially dedicated to my writings and thoughts on current events and everyday life as I see it. Please feel free to drop a comment or two; better still share with me your blog link and I might just pay you a visit.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Going green or going daft!

I browsed through a local paper this morning and found yet another "brilliant" idea most probably by a man in a pleated suit on Menara Komtar in Penang. Minimizing carbon foot print by banning the use of plastic bags but in the process of doing so printing out 500,000 brochures to be handed out to the masses… brilliant!

Considering that the retailers would be saving a handsome lot of cash in cost by not having to spend on plastic bags, the state government should make it mandatory for the retailers to decrease their prices. Otherwise, retailers will only grow fatter and the consumers would be force to pay the same prices but with the added “bonus” of having to drag around bags, fold away trolleys, etc even before we decide to buy anything… Brilliant!

Yup, I can picture a holiday in Penang next year when I’ll be walking around Georgetown carrying two extra bags in addition to my already mandatory two bag packs containing my children rations and all the while not even sure whether I’ll be buying anything from the islanders. If I don’t have the two extra bags, I might have to resort to balancing the bags of buah pala on my head and biting on to the nasi kandar polystyrene. And all the while having to push the pushchair also.

What if I buy more than my bags could carry and if I ran out of limbs to carry it with? Simple than, I’d just have to throw my 9 month old daughter from the pushchair, place the stuff on the pushchair and drag my daughter on the pavement like a “Wiraevo” would that rubber/plastic thingy hung behind it’s rear bumper! Brilliant!

I’m just waiting for the time when the state government decides that people would have to bring their own tupperwares if they want to tapow nasi kandar. Ahha… one of the rice, one for gravy, one for the lauk. Oh ya! I’m buying a meal for five, guess I’ll have to bring a truck container. Brilliant! 

No comments:

Post a Comment